We are now accepting volunteer applications for 2023!
By submitting this form, you are offering to volunteer at SD Who Con 2023. To participate as a volunteer at SD Who Con, you (“Volunteer”) must agree to the following: 1. Volunteer agrees to support SD Who Con as a volunteer. Volunteer acknowledges and agrees that as a volunteer they are not an employee of SD Who Con, and that they are not providing any services as an employee of SD Who Con. 2. Volunteer agrees that they have not been promised and are not expecting any compensation in exchange for their participating as a volunteer at the Convention. 3. Volunteer understands that failure to comply with all SD Who Con policies and the volunteer policies listed above may result in revocation of attendance privileges at the Convention either temporarily or permanently.
SD Who Con Volunteer Policies
The purpose of these policies is to provide general guidelines to volunteers. Only the Volunteer Coordinator and/or the Who Con administrative staff may make changes or exceptions to these policies. Such changes or exceptions must be made in writing.
Eligibility: All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age as of October 20, 2023. ID will be required when picking up volunteer badge.
Volunteers may be assigned to more than one department or area over the course of the convention. Assignments are subject to change without notice as necessary.
If you are unable to work your assigned shift due to sickness, emergency, etc. you must contact the Volunteer Coordinator as far in advance as possible so someone else can be assigned to cover your shift.
Failure to show up on an assigned day, or at the scheduled time and place without prior notification to the Volunteer Coordinator will result in automatic revocation of your attendance privileges for the entire convention.
Company Property: No volunteer will remove company property from the event site without specific instruction from a supervisor responsible for the property in question. Removing or attempting to remove company property without permission may result in dismissal from the volunteer program and legal action.
Personal Property: SD Who Con will not be held responsible for loss or damage to personal property. Never leave purses, wallets, cell phones, or anything else of value lying around. Leave unnecessary items at home. Volunteers may be allowed to leave items in Con Ops but only with the express permission of the Con Ops Team Leader. If any items are missing, notify security immediately.
Dress Code: San Diego Who Con is a family-friendly event. Please keep that in mind when choosing attire to be worn in the convention areas. Overly revealing, highly sexualized, or tasteless attire will not be allowed. The hotel requires all attendees to wear appropriate footwear while in the convention areas. Bare feet are not allowed. No weapons, real or prop, may be carried while on a volunteer assignment.
Personal Conduct: Volunteers are expected to behave in a courteous, respectful, and professional manner at all times. Additionally:
- Using, or being under the influence of, alcohol, marijuana, or illegal drugs is not permitted during volunteer activities.
- Physical or verbal harassment or abuse of hotel staff and guests, convention attendees, exhibitors, other volunteers, or Who Con staff members will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, making disparaging verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion.
- SD Who Con is a family friendly convention. The use of profanity and/or obscene gestures by volunteer during the Convention will not be tolerated.
- Fighting or physical aggression is prohibited and will result in the immediate expulsion of volunteer and revocation of attendance privileges for the duration of the Convention.
- Gambling, bookmaking, or engaging in any other illegal activity while on hotel premises is strictly prohibited.
- The unauthorized use of Convention equipment (including phones, computers, printers, or other office equipment) is prohibited.
- Theft of any property (merchandise, personal items, food, supplies, money, etc.) belonging to SD Who Con, attendees, vendors, exhibitors, other volunteers, or staff member will not be tolerated. Such activities may be reported to the San Diego Police Department at the discretion of Convention and/or Hotel Security.
In addition to policies stated above, volunteers will adhere to all SD Who Con policies as published on the website.
Failure to comply with Convention and volunteer rules and policies may result in permanent revocation of attendance privileges at the Convention.